Department Of Revenue/Paternity

Regardless of a name on a birth certificate, a child born when a couple was not married does not guarantee parental rights of the father. Fathers of children born outside of marriage must take certain steps to establish legal paternity.

According to the Florida Department of Revenue, paternity can be established by:

  • Marriage
  • Acknowledgement of paternity
  • Administrative order based on genetic/DNA tests
  • Court order
  • Legitimation (mother and natural father marry each other after their child's birth)

Servicios de Traducción en Español Disponibles.

The Advantages In Establishing Formal Paternity For Parents And Children

The Ocala family law attorneys at Dunham & Ingram, LLC, aggressively assert the rights of fathers who want to formalize relationships with their children. We also represent birth mothers seeking support for their children by establishing formal paternity of the biological father.

Once testing is completed, the father has rights, as do the birth mother and the child. Children can be eligible for health and life insurance, financial and medical support, and various government benefits and inheritances. Both parents have a say in legal decisions regarding their children. Mothers can secure a formal child support order while fathers can pursue a court order for custody or visitation.

Contact Our Gainesville Paternity Lawyers Today

Protect your rights with the help of an attorney. Contact our office today to discuss formalizing paternity. We offer a free initial consultation to all new clients. We are available during regular business hours and by appointment as needed. You can reach us by phone at 352-433-1107 or via email.